Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April 17, 2011

This week, we were in Thessaloniki for part of last week. It just so happens that there is an amazing place that every missionary wants to visit that is with in driving range of Thessaloniki. This place is called Meteora. Now I had been wanting to go to Meteora (met-ay-ore-uhh) for some time but having not served in Thess I saw that dream fading. But then I realized the Senior Couple living there had not been yet. So I put on my biggest friendly smile and offered to take them there on Preparation day. Of course they said yes, how could you turn down hospitality like that? Then when we got there, it was absolutely beautiful. The monks had built monasteries on the tops of the giant boulders. Literally hundreds of feet up in the air. They were absolutely amazing. They were all built around the 1300's and have been preserve over the hundreds of years of wars and the Turkish occupation. It is unbelievable. Because of those monasteries the Greek culture and language were preserved. It was definitely one of the most amazing things I have seen so far.










No comments:

Post a Comment